Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Shade Garden

 This is the start of my shade bed.  I have Coleus, Hostas, hydrangeas and I will have ferns.  These pictures aren't very good. I just planted everything today, I'm not finished with the bed I still need some more dirt to build it up more, but I wanted to get some of my plants in.

I'm excited to start all of my flower beds.  I think on the other side of the house where it is mostly sunny I will have vine plants growing on trellis's.  I'm very anxious to have everything done and planted, but I know it will be a slow process because of time, labor and money.  Luckily I don't have to buy many supplies
 I have found free compost at the local landfill just a few miles from my house and I have a friend at work that has given me free horse manure and hay.
I have never explained the type of garden and flower beds I am planting, they are called Lasagna gardens. The concept is just layering different product that will keep out weeds and make the garden healthy.  I don't have that many layers nor do I have it up to 24 inches like you should but I think mine will work pretty good.The bottom layer is always newspaper or cardboard, then you can put down grass clippings, leaves, compost, hay, humus, peat moss, manure and just about anything.  I only used a few of these and didn't layer very much.  You can mix it up and use anything you have available.

No comments: